How to ensure your property is gas safe


Checklist provided by

Useful articles

How to find and choose a plumber


Make a note of how many appliances in your home/new home are supplied by gas and in which rooms e.g. boiler, fire, cooking appliance, heater.
All gas appliances should be safety checked every year and serviced regularly according to manufacturer’s instructions. Find out when your gas appliances were last checked.
Make sure you don’t forget your annual safety check by setting a simple email reminder at Stay Gas Safe.
  Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out any gas work in your home. You can find or check an engineer is registered via Gas Safe Register. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing and always ask to see their Gas Safe ID card.
  A gas safety check will make sure your gas appliances are on the correct gas settings and burning correctly, any harmful gases are being removed and ventilation routes are clear.
  A free gas safety check may be available to homeowners on means tested benefits, who are, or live, with someone who is elderly, disabled, chronically sick or aged under 18. Contact your gas supplier to see if you are eligible.
  If you are buying a property and there is no up to date Gas Safety Record, make sure you have all the gas appliances checked by an appropriately qualified Gas Safe registered engineer prior to exchanging.
If you are a tenant, your landlord must, by law, have all gas appliances they provide for your use safety checked every year. Make sure they give you a copy of the Gas Safety Record within 28 days of it being carried out or if you are a new tenant before you move in. If there is no up to date safety record, the property may not be safe to live in.
Gas Safe registered engineers have a responsibility to advise you when they find dangerous gas installations in your home. If they can’t repair the appliance straight away they should, with your permission, make the installation safe and this may involve disconnecting the appliance. Never use an appliance if it has been identified as unsafe.
Wherever you live, even if your gas appliances are regularly checked and maintained, it is advisable, as an additional safety measure, to fit an audible carbon monoxide (CO) alarm in your home. This will alert you to the presence of CO which has no smell or taste.
If you are a landlord you must keep a copy of the Gas Safety Record for a minimum of two years.
If you are carrying out work on your property such as an extension or even gardening, you need to make sure you know where your gas service pipes are laid. Your gas supplier may be able to assist with locating the incoming service pipework, but they may charge you.


All our information is brought to you by Kate Faulkner OBE, author of Which? Property books and one of the UK's top property experts.
This website is Copyright © Designs on Property Ltd and protected under UK and international law.